Added in 2002, our beautiful disc golf course at the Avalanche Preserve Recreation Area in Boyne City, Michigan was in disrepair and needed some love. Trash and vandalism had become a big issue, and navigation was difficult for players who were unfamiliar with the course. We formed the Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club in 2013 in order to protect, maintain, and improve this wonderful asset to our community. We promote responsible game play, good etiquette, and keeping the course clean and safe for all park users. Our mission statement also includes growing the sport and volunteering to help other local clubs and courses. We ended 2014 with 76 members.
Club Stuff Page Find Us on Facebook
Address = Boyne Valley Disc Golf Club, PO Box 712, Boyne City, MI 49712-0712
Email = email@example.com
Club Director = Jason McCary, 231-459-8527, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rob Wiltjer, Club Officer, 231-675-4623, email@example.com
Secretary & Webmaster = Forrest Omland, 231-350-3660, firstname.lastname@example.org
We're always looking for new members! Detailed membership page coming soon. In the meantime just email us for more info. Annual dues are just a $5 donation to the club.
Club & Course Progress
2013 First Year Accomplishments
- Established a good relationship with the Boyne City Parks & Recreation Commission.
- Grew club to 35+ members and held weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Created scorecards and made them available at the disc golf course sign.
- Provided additional trash barrels along the course (one for every hole).
- Touched up paint on the original baskets and repaired badly damaged basket #6.
- Added 14 new "next tee" navigation posts.
- Improved several gravel tee boxes by adding new log frames.
- Added perforated plastic tree protection on holes #3, #4, #7, and #8.
- Installed 4'x6' rubber tee pad mats on holes #12 and #18.
- Received city budget proposal approval to buy 10 new baskets in 2014.
- Hosted our first annual "Haunted Hyzer" disc golf tournament in October.
- Improved the course ranking on Disc Golf Scene from #99 to #57 in Michigan.
- Grew club to 75+ members and continued weekly league play on Wednesday nights.
- Installed 10 new Discraft Chainstar baskets (front nine holes + practice basket).
- Adjusted all baskets to the correct height and added new number stickers.
- Made a new path from hole #1 to #2 coming up from behind the tee pad.
- Added a new tee pad on hole #2 using concrete pavers (trial material for evaluation).
- Provided additional log benches along the course (one for every hole).
- Hosted another very successful "Haunted Hyzer" tournament in October.
- Course ranked #39 in Michigan on Disc Golf Scene with 73 reviews on 12/5/14.
2015 Goals & Accomplishments
- Finish replacing all of the tee signs. IN PROCESS
- Add wood chips around the tee pads, on the paths, and under the baskets.
- Install several safety signs near some of the blind corners on the course.
- Start upgrading all of the tee pads.
- Relocate and refurbish the old disc golf course sign. IN PROCESS
- Host a Northern Waters Series tournament on 5/30/15.
- Host a "Boyne Valley Trilogy Challenge" tournament in on 7/12/15.
- Host a third annual "Haunted Hyzer" tournament on 10/10/15.
- Be among the top 30 ranked Michigan courses on www.discgolfscene.com.
Future Goals & Ideas
- Finish upgrading all of the tee pads.
- Add short or long tee pad options on some of the holes.
- Add 3, 6, or 9 additional holes to the course.
What's Going On
- Avalanche Weekly League Play $5
2015 league season = 24 weeks on WED nights from 4/22/15 through 9/30/15 alternating between singles and doubles.
The first 8 weeks are shown below.
5:15 registration, 5:30 tee off.
Wed 04/22 (S) Wed 05/20 (S)
Wed 04/29 (D) Wed 05/27 (D)
Wed 05/06 (S) Wed 06/03 (S)
Wed 05/13 (D) Wed 06/10 (D)
Thanks to B.C. PIZZA and DISC BARON for being league & tournament sponsors!
- 2015 Club Meeting Schedule
Tuesday 02/03 Tuesday 08/04
Tuesday 04/07 Tuesday 10/06
Tuesday 06/02 Tuesday 12/01
1st Tuesday of every other month.
6:00pm at Avalanche Preserve.
Additional meetings held as needed.
Agendas and minutes available below.
04/01/14 Meeting Agenda 04/01/14 Meeting Minutes 05/06/14 Meeting Agenda 05/06/14 Meeting Minutes 05/06/14 Club Newsletter 06/03/14 Meeting Agenda 07/17/14 Club Update For BCPRC 08/05/14 Meeting Agenda 08/05/14 Meeting Minutes 11/06/14 Club Update For BCPRC 12/04/14 Meeting Agenda 12/04/14 Meeting Minutes 02/03/15 Meeting Agenda 02/03/15 Meeting Minutes 04/07/15 Meeting Agenda 04/07/15 Meeting Minutes
- 2015 Club Sponsor - Disc Baron
When it comes to buying discs and other supplies, we always advocate supporting our local businesses like Tom & Dick's in Petoskey and Tilley's in Traverse City.
If you're in Grand Rapids or shopping online, please check out Disc Baron. Our friend and club member Jacob Stahl has a cool disc golf retail and online store.
- Club Logo Designs By Ethan Knott
- New Tee Signs By Jason McCary
2015 Club Members (79)
- Greg Argyle
- Carrie Beemon
- Mike Briggs
- Hunter Brisson
- Josh Burns
- Anthony Carpenter
- Miles Chisholm
- Dave D'Amour
- Justin Ducker
- Corey Eaton
- Logan Erber
- Jeff Fish
- Amanda Fritsch
- Bill Fuller
- Dave Fuller
- Jennifer Goodwin
- Dave Gross
- Scott Gross
- Michael Grubaugh
- Marc Hamlin
- Will Hasseld
- Josh Henry
- Aimee Hewitt
- Adam Hillsamer
- Aaron Himmelspach
- Pat Hood
- Joe Houser
- Adam Hubble
- Roman Idolski
- Sam Kantola
- Ryan Kasper
- Martin Kirk
- Kyle Klingelsmith
- Eric Klooster
- Rick Kole
- Ethan Knott
- Brian Kuhs
- Johnnie Leigh
- Todd Lewis
- Erik Lundwall
- Dave Maddox
- Mike Madison
- Raechel Massey
- Jason McCary
- Kyle Mihatsch
- Michael Mitrovich
- Justin Mosley
- Mitch O'Brien
- A.J. Oman
- Forrest Omland
- Charlie Pennington
- Tom Pluister
- Matt Powers
- Chance Randall
- Adam Raphael
- Stephanie Seeley
- Adam Sessions
- Joshua Siwek
- Roy Smithkey
- Jack Sovonski
- Jacob Stahl
- Chris Stone
- Aaron Sulak
- Amanda Sulak
- Beau Tillotson
- Taggart Tillotson
- Bill Towne
- Alissa Urman
- Jenna Urman
- Todd Urman
- Russ Van Horn
- Bobby Vance
- Caiden Watkins
- Marianne Watkins
- Rochelle Wieber
- Jacob Wilson
- Rob Wiltjer
- Jonathan Winslow
- Matt Wixsom
- Italics = Founding Club Member
- Bold = Honorary Lifetime Member
Avalanche Hole #3
Hanson Hills Hole #10
Hickory Hills Hole #24
Avalanche Hole #3
Log Lake Hole #9